Volunteering at Walk Together
Walk Together is our set of fantastic five-mile walks taking place this September in London, Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff. At each of our events we have lots of amazing volunteers who help us to run the day, and we’re looking for more people to help out this year. John came along to our London walk and talks more about the day below.
I’ve been volunteering for Bowel Cancer UK since 2012, after I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2007. I hadn’t had any symptoms and only found out when I took the national screening test. I had the cancer removed, and have had regular check-ups since then. In 2016, the cancer came back and I had an operation, but I’m back to doing talks for the charity and helping out at other events, like Walk Together.
On the day, I had a brilliant time as one of the marshals, helping to direct all of the walkers along the route. I stood close to the Tower of London, which was a fantastic spot, and as the weather was so nice it was great to get some sun! It was amazing to see so many different people go by in the teal t-shirts, and I’d love to help out again at the next one.
We couldn’t run our events without our brilliant volunteers - there are lots of things you can do to help us out. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 7940 1769 to let us know you want to help or to find out more information.
How you can volunteer at Walk Together
- Marshals - Direct our walkers along the route and get to enjoy the views at the same time.
- Cheering - Join us at our finish point to cheer and clap all of our walkers as they come back from their five miles.
- Refreshments - Help hand out water and snacks to all of our walkers at either our halfway point or at the finish line.
- Registration desks - Mark off our walkers when they arrive for the event or check them back in at the end.
- Medals - Celebrate the finishers' achievements by handing out our special Walk Together medals at the finish point.
- Taking leaflets out in your local area - If you can’t join us on the day, you can still help us out! Help us spread the word in your community by putting out five leaflets in your local area to encourage people to sign up.