We use different types of cookies to help our website work well. A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we may put on your computer or mobile device. These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users of the website helping us to provide you with a good experience when you browse our website and also allow us to improve our site.
For example cookies will tell us whether you have visited our site before or whether you are a new visitor, or they can be used to measure the effectiveness of our online marketing campaigns, to ensure we are getting a good return on investment from our digital marketing.
The main categories of cookies that we use are:
1. Cookies that are necessary to run the site
Our site uses some cookies which are essential to keeping the site working and provide the services you need. These include cookies that enable you to stay logged in for an entire visit to the site or add things to a shopping basket and keep them there until you decide to check out.
2. Cookies which help us improve the site
- to see what website content is popular and how people are using the site as they allow us to track users movement through our website. This type of information is amalgamated so that we can build up a picture of how the site is performing.
In addition, when we email you, we may place a tiny tag (also known as ‘tracking pixel’ or ‘web beacon’) on the email we send out. These do not collect any personal information, but they let us know how many people are opening and reading our emails so that we can choose more popular content.
The information we collect using analytics cookies does not involve collecting the name or address of any user. The analytics cookies that we use only operate through our website so they and the data they collect are not shared with anyone else.
3. Cookies which help us get value for money from advertising
We occasionally use other types of cookies that can track how our advertisements perform. These cookies will help us identify which advertisements resulted in a “click through” to the Bowel Cancer UK website or someone downloadingour materials..
A note about YouTube cookies
We have begun to embed our YouTube videos using the ‘Privacy-enhanced’ settings. This uses a cookie if the video is played.
For further information, please go to AboutCookies.org. You will find details on how to delete cookies from your computer as well as more general information about cookies. For information on how to do this on the browser of your mobile phone you will need to refer to your handset manual.
How you can control the cookies used and placed on your computer
Information on how to manage cookies can also be found using settings within other browsers or for more cookie information see the links below.
Note that these links will take you to other sites. Bowel Cancer UK is not responsible for the information and also the setting of cookies on these other sites.
PC or Mac browsers
- Firefox https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Enabling+and+disabling+cookiesGoogle Chrome https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647
- Internet Explorer (IE) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/196955
- Safari OSX http://www.apple.com/support/?path=Safari/5.0/en/9277.html
What will happen if you disable some or all of the cookies that Bowel Cancer UK uses?
It would be impossible to use our online shop without cookies enabled, as the shopping basket function wouldn’t work. If you would prefer not to use our website, you can order goods over the phone by calling Charlie on 020 7940 1769.