Expert tips to keep your Decembeard trim
Join us this December, get growing your beard and raise as much as you can to stop people dying from the disease.
Taking part in Decembeard is really simple. All you need to do is clean shave on 30 November and let your facial fuzz grow throughout the month. Already bearded? No problem. Dye, ditch or decorate your beard and join the campaign.
More than 23,000 men are diagnosed with bowel cancer in the UK each year, making it the third most common cancer in men. It’s also the nation’s second biggest cancer killer but it shouldn’t be, as it’s treatable and curable, especially if diagnosed early.
Three barber shop legends have partnered with us to support Decembeard and have each provided their top tips for growing and grooming your beards this winter. They have also each donated a free shave session for one lucky participant for a ‘Shave the date’ in January.
Top tips to groom your beard with ‘Pankhurst Barbershop’
- Keep away from beard oils until the hairs are no longer at stubble length - this will clog up the pores in the skin and cause bumps and irritation.
- When using oil, make sure to use a cleansing scrub so that the skin underneath is kept clean.
- Wash your beard like you would your hair, with shampoo.
- Always keep your beard moist, this will help it look less frizzy and be softer to touch (and who doesn’t want that!).
Beard styling tips from Nomad Barber
Beards are very personal, pieces of art some might even say, so it’s no surprise most men are very particular on what shape and style they want. You have a lot of choice when it comes to beards, from extremely tapered, sharp beards to a more natural unkept look or a handle bar moustache with a clean shave everywhere else.
- To maintain the perfect beard, you should visit your barber every two to three weeks.
- Always keep the lip area clean so that you look well-groomed and not messy.
- Let a barber help you find a style that suits your face type.
- Avoid letting it grow too long without styling it again so that the lines are always kept clean and tidy.
Get to know ‘Beardlingo’ by Murdock
- You’ve probably heard of ‘Eden Hazard’ (famous Chelsea footballer) but maybe not as a phrase to describe your beard! This name refers to the trait where a beard grows more on the neck than on your face, so basically, it’s a celebrity term for a neck beard.
- If you’re feeling adventurous and would like to try out some fancy styles for Decembeard, why not try the ‘Pancho Villa’. This style describes a moustache, which is disproportionately large compared to the rest of your beard.
- A common beard style these days is the ‘VBL’. This abbreviation means ‘visible beard line’ where the hair is cleanly groomed around the jaw line to give your face a more defined look.
Save lives this December. Grow a beard and raise funds to support our vital services and lifesaving research. Sign up today.