We open research grant call with plans to invest a further half a million pounds
Tuesday 6 November 2018
Today we open our second round of grant applications with plans to invest a further £500,000 into much needed bowel cancer research, as part of our commitment to support research with the greatest benefits for those at risk and affected by the disease.
Last year we launched our first round of grant applications and funded six bowel cancer research projects totalling nearly £440,000.
This second round of funding will continue to support our work to stop people dying from bowel cancer.
Bowel cancer is the second biggest cancer killer in the UK. However, it shouldn’t be because it is treatable and curable especially if diagnosed early.
We aim to fund the highest quality research in the following priority areas:
- Improving the bowel cancer screening programme and use of endoscopy resource so that more people are diagnosed at the earliest stage of the disease;
- Increasing our understanding and improving the identification of people at high risk of bowel cancer, such as those with a strong family history or longstanding medical condition like inflammatory bowel disease or type 2 diabetes;
- Furthering our knowledge of bowel cancer in the under 50s to better understand why bowel cancer in this age group is growing and to help ensure patients are diagnosed as quickly as possible
Deborah Alsina MBE, Chief Executive of Bowel Cancer UK, says: “We are delighted to launch our second round of research grant funding, which will support high quality, innovative and creative solutions to help lead a step change in the number of people surviving bowel cancer.
“Through our policy and campaigning work and extensive consultation with researchers, clinicians and patients we know that investing in these three key areas could help us deliver real improvements to outcomes for patients.
“Whilst there have been important steps forward, there are still many unanswered research questions, which if addressed could help accelerate our progress further and ultimately save more lives. Through strategic investment in targeted research, we aim to drive positive change for patients and help to deliver improvements in bowel cancer survival in our lifetime.”
- Find out more about our research priorities
- Read our exclusive blogs where we share latest research updates.
- Donate and help fund our vital research
To apply for a research grant
Eligible scientists and researchers can apply for a project grant of up to £75,000 per year for a maximum of two years, or smaller pilot grants worth up to £25,000 for no more than 18 months.
For more information and to request an application form, visit our grants funding page here, or email email@example.com. The deadline for completed project applications is 4pm on 31 January 2019 and for pilot applications is 4pm on 2 May 2019.