Happy birthday to us!
Hip hip hooray! Today is our very first anniversary of the charity’s new brand.
If you’ve been a supporter of the charity for a while you will know that on 1 January 2018 Beating Bowel Cancer and Bowel Cancer UK legally merged to become the UK’s leading bowel cancer charity. With the help of our fantastic supporters, both charities achieved a great deal separately, but bowel cancer remains the UK’s second biggest cancer killer with over 16,000 people dying annually of a disease that is preventable, treatable and curable. By integrating our activity, teams, networks and support bases we aimed to create a strong, confident charity that drives positive change to save more lives in the future.
To help to unify the two legacy organisations, we invested in a new brand which we revealed just seven months later on 1 August 2018.
We were delighted with the praise and positive response we received from our supporters, including comments such as: “It's great to see these two charities now together under one identity, working to beat this awful disease” and “Fantastic to see the new look Bowel Cancer UK. The work that these professionals, volunteers and family members do is vital”.
Thanks to our wonderful supporters, the first year of our new brand has been incredible. These are a selection of our highlights:
- Funded two new surgical research fellows worth £65,000, as part of our partnership with the Royal College of Surgeons of England worth £500,000
- Posted 289,000 health information publications about bowel cancer to GP surgeries, hospitals, patients and their families
- Nearly 2,300 fundraisers have ran, cycled, swam and trekked for us raising £1.2m
- Have 11,000 campaign supporters across the UK that help us to take action in government and make change happen on issues that really matter to people with bowel cancer
- Our amazing volunteers have given 355 awareness talks, reaching nearly 8,500 people
- 900 people have raised £550,000 by organising their own fundraising like shaving their hair, jumping out of planes and teeing up at their local golf clubs
- 1,249 new members joined our online community
We’re bringing people together – patients, families and friends, doctors and nurses, scientists and researchers, politicians and campaigners and everyone fundraising for us to create a future where nobody dies of bowel cancer.
Join us and take action, because you can help save lives today.
- Watch our new video celebrating our brand’s first birthday
- Join our online community
- Share your experience of bowel cancer with us
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Sign up to Walk Together this September
- Download or order our health information publications
- Support our campaigns
- Join our research network
- Visit our online shop
- Partner with us
- Listen to our podcasts hosted by BBC's George Alagiah