Rachel Khoo's Fig and Chai Treacle Cake
Rachel Khoo is amongst the celebrities calling on the nation to put the kettle on and host a Brew Together fundraising event from Monday 7 - Sunday 13 October.
Held at home, in a community hall or at work, it's a chance to catch up with friends, family and colleagues over a cup of tea and make a donation to the charity to help stop people dying from bowel cancer.
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g soft butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 medium eggs
- 110g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8-10 fresh figs, washed
- 250g mascarpone cream or whipped cream
- 1 x 20cm spring form tin lined with baking paper
Ingredients for the chai treacle caramel
- 100ml double cream
- pinch of salt
- 6 good quality chai teabags
- 100g treacle or date syrup
- 100g sugar
First start by infusing your cream. Cut open the teabags and pour into a pot with the cream andpinch of salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Leave to infuse until needed. Preheat the oven to 180c.
Beat the sugar and butter with the spices until fluffy and almost white. Then beat in one egg at atime.
- Sift together the baking powder and plain flour. Fold into the beaten egg and butter mix. Don’t overwork the mixture.
- Pour into the baking tin and spread out evenly. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the sponge springs back when touched. Take out the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin and putting on a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the rest of the caramel
- Pour the date syrup into a large pot followed by the sugar. Place on a hot heat. Swirl the pot around every minute or so to help incorporate the sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat. Place the sieve on top of the pot and pour the cream through the sieve. Use a spatula to press the cream through.
- Mix together the cream and the cooked treacle. Leave to cool.
- Place the cake on a plate. Trim the knobbly bit of the fig and cut into quarters. Spread on half of the treacle on the cake followed by a layer of mascarpone. Place the figs on top. Drizzle on the rest of the treacle sauce. Eat immediately.
Credits: Rachel Khoo, khoollect.com