Jo Pratt's Courgette, Pistachio and Orange Loaf Cake
Jo Pratt is amongst the celebrities calling on the nation to put the kettle on and host a Brew Together fundraising event from Monday 7 - Sunday 13 October.
Held at home, in a community hall or at work, it's a chance to catch up with friends, family and colleagues over a cup of tea and make a donation to the charity to help stop people dying from bowel cancer.
Makes 1 loaf
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 125ml/4fl oz/½ cup olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 100g/3½oz/½ cup soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g/12oz/4 cups coarsely grated courgette/zucchini
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 300g/10½oz/2¼ cups wholegrain spelt or wholemeal/whole-wheat flour
- 75g/2½oz/½ cup shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the orange glaze (optional)
- 60g/2¼oz/½ cup icing/confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- juice and zest of about ½ orange
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped pistachio nuts
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Oil a 1kg/2lb 4oz loaf pan and line the base with baking parchment. Lightly beat together the eggs, olive oil, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the grated courgette/zucchini and orange zest. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, pistachio nuts, baking powder and cinnamon. Pour in the egg mixture and mix everything together well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Bake for 45–50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the loaf. If the cake starts to brown too much, cover the top with foil.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire/cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the orange glaze, if using, put the icing/confectioners’ sugar in a bowl with the orange zest and gradually mix in enough orange juice to form a runny icing. Pour over the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides, then scatter over the pistachios.
- The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to one week.