Brian Turner's Chocolate and Hazelnut Cake
Brian Turner is amongst the celebrities calling on the nation to put the kettle on and host a Brew Together fundraising event from Monday 7 - Sunday 13 October.
Held at home, in a community hall or at work, it's a chance to catch up with friends, family and colleagues over a cup of tea and make a donation to the charity to help stop people dying from bowel cancer.
- 8oz dark chocolate
- 6 eggs
- 4oz ground hazelnuts
- 1tbsp strong coffee
- 10oz caster sugar
- 2oz ground almonds
- 4oz sieved apricot jam
- 4oz dark chocolate
- 2oz unsalted butter
- 1tbsp double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180° C (350F/Gas 4). Grease a cake tin with a little butter and line the base with baking parchment.
- Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and mix.
- Drain the beetroot then put the beetroot in a food processor along with the eggs and the olive oil and blitz until smooth.
- Make a well it the centre of the dry ingredients and, using a wooden spoon, beat in the beetroot mixture, a bit at a time to form a smooth batter. Add the chopped chocolate and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche or Greek yoghurt. A sprig of mint and a couple of raspberries look great too.