30 ways to get involved in our 30th year
In 2017 we’re proudly celebrating our 30th anniversary. Since 1987 we’ve been determined to save lives and improve the quality of life for all those affected by bowel cancer.
This wouldn’t be possible without your support, and although we’ve achieved some key milestones, the job is not finished. We’ve not stopped bowel cancer. We’re making good progress, but not enough and not fast enough. This is why we still need your help.
Give your time, money…or take on a challenge of a lifetime!
1. The Brighton Half Marathon on Sunday 26 February passes the Royal Pavilion and St Peter's Church and gives you wonderful cliff top and panoramic views of this vibrant seaside city.
2. The Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon on Sunday 12 March is perfect for Formula 1 fans! It’s a three lap race and very flat - a great opportunity to chase a personal best time.
3. If you’d rather be running around the kitchen than on the track, get involved in Be a Star, Bake a Cake and hold cake sales during April.
4. Encourage your loved ones who are of screening age (60-74, or 50-74 in Scotland) to take part in the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme for Bowel Cancer Awareness Month in April.Bowel cancer screening can save lives. If bowel cancer is found early, it is easier to treat.
5. Run the award winning Greater Manchester Marathon on Sunday 2 April. It was voted the UK’s best marathon at the Running Awards so it’s one not to miss.
6. Take part in the world famous Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday 23 April and experience the incredible atmosphere as you run past iconic sights of the capital.
7. The Stirling Marathon will take you past giraffes and elephants in Blair Drummond Safari Park on Sunday 21 May.
8. Whether you are tempted by 10k or marathon the Edinburgh Marathon Festival has a distance for you. Depending on the race you choose, it takes place on Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 May.
9. Run past the capital’s most iconic landmarks in the Vitality London 10k on Bank Holiday Monday, 29 May.
10. Step up for 30 is our brand new fundraising event where you take on the challenge of 30 minutes of exercise or activity for 30 days in June. Whilst you’re getting fitter and seeing the benefits of daily exercise, you’ll be raising vital funds for the charity.
11. Not for the faint hearted, on Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 June trek the training ground of the SAS and take part in the challenging Trekfast, Brecon Beacons.
12. The JCP Swansea Half Marathon on Sunday 25 June takes runners from the city to the sea along the stunning coastline.
13. From Saturday 1 to Sunday 2 July run, jog or walk over 100km for the Cotswold Way Challenge.
14. Calling all men, this is your chance to shine! Choose your distance and run the Sanlam Go Dad Run Series in Worcester on Sunday 23 July.
15. Grab your helmet and cycle 100 miles on this epic Prudential Ride London/Surrey 100 bike ride for one day during Friday 28 – Sunday 30 July.
16. If running 26.2 miles is just not enough, take part in the Ring of Fire Ultra, Anglesey where you’ll run 135 miles over three days from Friday 1 to Sunday 3 September.
17. Stand shoulder-to-shoulder with 56,000 runners in the world famous Great North Run in South Shields on Sunday 10 September.
18. In September walk with us through central London, Belfast or Edinburgh to celebrate the memories of loved ones and remember them together.
19. The Great Wall of China trek is rich in culture and history as well as testing your ability to conquer lots of steps for 10 days from Friday 6 October.
20. The Royal Parks Half Marathon on Sunday 8 October is one of the most beautiful city runs in the world.
21. Join us at the Great Birmingham Run on Sunday 15 October and take in some of the famous sights of Birmingham.
22. Taking us to the most iconic base camp of all, at the foot of the greatest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, this is one of the world's classic treks. Join us for this epic adventure for two weeks from Saturday 4 November.
23. Take a bite out of the Big Apple and join us in one of the world's most exciting cities. The New York City Marathon takes place on Sunday 5 November.
24. Grow a beard throughout December and raise money to support vital research and lifesaving work to stop bowel cancer.
25. Join us for a festive carol concert in London, Belfast and Edinburgh this Christmas. Tickets will be announced in November 2017.
26. Sign up to our regular e-newsletter to receive updates about our work, our latest news and campaigns and ideas on how you can get involved and support us
27. If you’ve been affected by bowel cancer, why not become one of our award-winning awareness volunteers and give talks about the disease to community groups and workplaces.
28. Sign our petition to call on UK Health Ministers to urgently step in and take responsibility for improving the identification and management of Lynch syndrome
29. Donate to support vital research and lifesaving work to stop bowel cancer.
30. Talk to your network of contacts about bowel cancer and help us to find new volunteers, campaigners, advocates, donors. Help us increase our impact and reach.
Together we can stop bowel cancer